Sunday, November 2, 2008

I'm in love, and her name is Nikki

Merry Christmas to me!

I know it's a little early to be talking about Christmas but why not? They're already moving in the holiday decorations at the stores AND I've alread gotten my present!

We've been saving up for months to get a new camera. I've been dreaming and longing and drooling for months and the original plan was to purchase it as my Christmas gift in December. However, the quickening decline of my faithful duct tape encrusted Kodak sped up the timetable of the new camera purchase.

I've had my eye on the Nikon D40 for quite some time, well really ever since it came out and I was suckered in with their ingenious marketing plan. I did my research though and decided that based on its price, ease of use (it's my first digital SLR) and features that it would be perfect for our family - and it is.

I call her Niki and she and I have spent the entire weekend spooning. I've been nuzzling her lens while she wrapped herself around my neck. We shall never be apart.

It's an unconventional relationship, that's for sure. But it has its rewards. I give her a warm and caring home and she gives me:

The speed and ability to capture action shots - on the first try! Not on the 50th!

I have dozens of shots like these! Dozens! With my old camera I'd have to force the poor kids to jump in and throw leaves for 45 minutes before my camera could actually capture them mid-air like this.

She also gives me the speed needed to capture faces like this, that flash for only a moment:

and moments like these:


vibrant and detailed still-lifes:


and natural coloring and glow in low-light situations (this was taken in the basement, without a flash!)


Our love shall last forever!
(special thanks to my hubby for having the financial wherewithall to save up for this camera, and thanks to my sweet Momma for the extra push at the end to allow me to get it this early!)

No comments: