Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bargain Yarn



(Lion Brand Landscapes - wool blend)


I grabbed 2 skeins of each of these yarns at Big Lots for $1.50 each. Finding good yarn at a place like that is pretty rare but I’m always on the lookout for crafty bargains and I got lucky this time and found these beauties nestled within a mound of purple eyelash yarn.

Haven’t decided exactly what to make yet but I’m leaning toward a cowl (also called a tube scarf or scarflette).

They’re all the rage now and I’m one to jump on a bandwagon when it’s something I think is pretty cool. And from what I’ve heard,”cowl is the new scarf” don’t believe me? Check out this flickr blog group: Cowl is the new scarf

As much as I love scarves, sometimes the ends annoy me. They entangle the kids when I bend down to put their boots on, they get wrapped around my purse straps etc so I’m thinking a cowl would be an improvement. Of course some of those issues may be attributed to my natural awkwardness, it’s hard to say.

One of the most exciting things about this yarn, besides the softness and subtle color variations is that they take size 13 needles (cue shaft of light and angelic chorus) which means that whatever project I decide on should take minimal time with a yarn as chunky as this.

One of my fears with a cowl though is that it could make me resemble something like a tortoise or worse yet give the impression that I’ve simply knitted a cozy for my double chin. But, I think for $3 and minimal time and effort, it’s a project worth pursuing. I’ll let you know how it turns out, unless of course it does end up looking like a double chin cozy and then I think it’s best if we all just forget this ever happened.

No comments: